Looking for some ideas for your next at-home coffee machine? You’re in luck because we’ve compiled a list of the very best coffee machines! We have narrowed down the field to just six options that will suit different budgets and tastes. So whether you’re looking to make lattes or single-serving pods, you will be sure to find something you like. Let’s get started!
Top Coffee Machines:
- Keurig K-Slim Coffee Maker, Single Serve K-Cup Brewer
- Krups Simply Brew Compact Filter Drip Coffee Maker
- De’Longhi Nespresso Gran Latissima Espresso Machine
- Gevi 20 Bar Compact Professional Espresso Machine
- Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine
- Jura S8 Automatic Coffee Machine
Why an at-home coffee machine?
These days, a morning cup of coffee is more necessary than ever. Whether you are working from home and no longer going past your normal coffee shop on your commute, or you just need a pick-me-up before heading out into the world, a good cup of coffee will give you the start you need.
And why not? Historically, coffee has been involved with outbursts of positive activity, such as during the British enlightenment, when new ideas in areas from economics to social policy and philosophy were discussed and developed over numerous cups of coffee. Simply put, coffee fuels us!
Best Coffee Machines – the basics:
It’s worth having a think about what you need from a coffee machine before buying (of course!). Here are some basic questions to ask yourself:
- Would you prefer pods or using coffee grounds/beans?
- If you want to go pod-less, do you prefer a machine that uses whole coffee beans or grounds?
- Do you want espresso and latte functions? Or would you rather just have a machine that can do black coffee?
- Would you prefer a single cup maker or a family pot?
One important thing to keep in mind is that generally speaking, the more functions a machine has, the more difficult it will be to dismantle and clean. However, this is not always the case, and sometimes the design allows you to get a host of functions without the hassle of dismantling and cleaning complicated parts. We’ll point out which machines in our list have dishwasher-safe parts and are easy to clean.
What type of coffee machine is best for me?
Are the best coffee machines pod machines or bean-to-cup machines? Great question! But ultimately the answer depends on what you need and want from the machine.
Coffee pods (K-cups, Nespresso pods, or other) are super convenient, but some people worry about the added environmental impact of the additional trash they generate. They tend to require one pod per cup. To counter this, there are now biodegradable pods available, although they can sometimes be harder to find than pods made from aluminum or other materials. Or you can opt for a refillable pod that allows you to add your own coffee grounds. Pods are also more expensive than using larger packs of coffee grounds.
The cheapest option in terms of the coffee you buy is probably to get whole beans and either grind them yourself, or get a coffee machine that has a built-in grinding function.
Here’s a classic machine for those on a budget. The Keurig K-slim coffee maker doesn’t take up much space. You just add water to its tank (it holds 46 oz of water), put in your favorite K-cup pod, and choose between an 8 oz, 10 oz, or 12 oz brew — it’s up to you and depends on your mug size.
- K-cup machine
- Compact design
- Reservoir holds enough water for several cups
What We Like:
- Good value
- Ultra slim (less than 5″ wide), which is good for limited counter space
- Drip tray removable to fit larger mugs (eg travel mugs)
If you’d rather not use coffee pods and also want to keep it simple, a classic filter drip-coffee machine is probably the right thing for you. This Krups Simply Brew Compact model is one of the best. It looks simple and elegant, will fit in with any kitchen (or any other room), and has some features that make it a great value coffee machine. The jug holds five cups, so it is perfect for a small family breakfast, or having a friend over for a brew. It has a built-in coffee filter, although you can use paper filters if you’d rather not spend the time cleaning it. The pot is dishwasher safe and anti-drip. And this machine also includes a convenient pause function
- Easy to fill
- 5-cup capacity dishwasher-safe jug for easy cleaning
- One-hour keep-warm function for staggered breakfasts
What We Like:
- Elegant design and good value
- Choice between reusable filter and paper filters
- Simple to use, and easy to clean
This sleek, high-end machine from De’Longhi combines a host of features with simple, super easy-to-use, super easy-to-clean design. It takes Nespresso pods and produces multiple different types of coffee beverages. You can have full cafe latte, cappuccino, flat milk coffees, black espressos and more. Chose between ristrettos, espressos, or lungo coffee variants.
Because it’s one of the best coffee machines on the market, it’s slightly more pricey, but the host of intelligent features are invaluable. This high-tech machine lets you know when it needs descaling and cleaning, and it also has a programmable power-off function. The milk attachment detaches and breaks down simply for easy cleaning in the dishwasher or by hand. The high-pressure system heats up quickly in under a minute, meaning you can get ready quickly to go out, or simply get your coffee faster in order to sit down and relax.
- Nespresso pod machine
- Multiple beverage types
- Made from high-quality materials
What We Like:
- Really easy to clean compared to other models
- Fast heat-up
- Elegant, modern design
Additional Things To Consider:
- All the convenience and style comes at a price
Here’s one for the coffee shop connoisseurs out there! This one looks like a professional barista machine because it basically is. Think steam, think high-pressure whooshing noises. Delicate foams, espressos in glasses, milk frothing in the metal jug, latte art? It can do it all. This is a machine for those who want to impress guests, or those who like to do things right. It may take a bit more time, but it’s worth it for the right results isn’t it?
A cup warmer grill on top, a milk brother / steam wand on the side, a 2-in-1 portafilter attachment. It has everything you need, in a stylish design.
- Professional-level compact espresso machine
- Milk-frother for larger, longer drinks
- 35 oz removable water tank
What We Like:
- Stainless steel design looks like it belongs in a coffee shop
- You feel like you are barista
- It’s easy to start doing latte art!
This one is another professional-looking machine with a host of functions. It’s towards the pricier end of the mid-range, and its integrated grinder is perfect for coffee connoisseurs. Choose your favorite whole beans (you’ll have to decide whether you roast them yourself or buy pre-roasted packs), add them to the grinder, and get an espresso out in next to no time at all. The amount of beans the machine grinds depends on what you need, so you get maximum freshness out for the portion you choose.
A steam wand allows you to produce milk foam by hand, and yes, you can do your latte art if that is your thing. This machine looks great, works to high professional standards, and will become a centerpiece of any kitchen.
- 1- and 2-cup Single & Dual Wall filter baskets
- Built-in controllable grinder
- Comes with the precision controls you need to make perfect coffee
What We like:
- It looks beautiful
- Has a host of professional parts and features
- Easy to learn and impressive to use
Well, welcome to the high-end. This Jura S8 coffee machine is one of the best coffee machines available and is suitable for those with some cash to spare. Jura is a Swiss brand known for its high-quality, high-tech products. The Jura S8 is controlled by a color touch screen and does everything. It is customizable, meaning you can set your own brewing strengths, volumes, and more. The machine tells you what to do while you do it, whether it be frothing the milk or mixing your beverage.
The milk attachment can do steamed milk or foam. Combined with the other features, that means you can choose from 15 beverages. It also looks extremely sleek and professional. It’s not the type of thing you’d see in a coffee shop — perhaps more what you may see in a high-end law office.
- Innovative Swiss brand
- Colour touch screen, operating instructions can be switched off
What We Like:
- It’s not cheap, but it delivers
- It looks and feels super high-quality
- Can produce any professional coffee